This vegan cake’s simplicity, beautiful golden colour, buttery taste, and moist texture make it ideal for tea parties or afternoon treats.
Victoria sponge cake
Convenience: Quick to make ~ Easy-to-find ingredients ~ Can be frozen
- 400 g (3 cups) self raising flour
- 1 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 250 g (1 1/4 cups) caster sugar
- 115 ml (1/2 cup) flavourless vegetable oil (e.g. rapeseed or sunflower)
- 400 ml (1 3/4 cups) non-dairy milk
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 jar of your favourite jam (strawberry or raspberry is traditional)
- 100 g (1/2 cup) non-dairy margarine (ideally palm oil free)
- 90 g (3/4 cup) powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 C or 350 F.
- Grease and line two 9-inch cake tins.
- Whisk the flour, bicarbonate of soda, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Separately whisk together the oil, milk, syrup, and 1 tsp of the vanilla.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk for a couple of minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Pour equal amounts into the two cake tins, and bake for about 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool for a few minutes in the tin, then cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the cake is cooling, make the buttercream by beating together the margarine, powdered sugar, and 1 tsp of the vanilla, until fluffy. Leave in the fridge until the cake is completely cool.
- Spread the jam over the one of the cooled cakes, followed by the buttercream. Place the other cake on top, and dust with icing sugar.
- Serve with cups of tea and fresh berries.
How many EA Tasty Spoons does it get?
- No animal products.
- As far as I’m aware, none of the ingredients are particularly harmful for the environment. Let me know in the comments if I’m wrong about this.
- All of the ingredients are pretty cheap, so long as you avoid very fancy vanilla extract or jam.
- Not healthy, as it contains a lot of sugar and refined carbohydrate.
- Tastes so lovely. Friends and family are always extremely happy when I bake this cake for afternoon tea, and nobody can even tell it’s vegan!
Total EA Tasty Spoons: 4