These garlicy caramelised tomatoes have an incredibly intense umami flavour. Their sticky sweetness and rich acidity adds a whole new level to an Italian meal when served as a side dish or topping.
Slow cooked tomatoes
Convenience: Takes 5 mins to prep, then can be watched from a distance
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 700 g cherry tomatoes, washed
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
Put a medium-sized non-stick heavy bottomed pan onto low heat.
Pour in enough olive oil to lightly cover the pan.
Tip the tomatoes into the pan. Ideally, they should cover the base of the pan, leaving no spaces, but should not pile on top of each other.
Sprinkle the sliced garlic over the tomatoes, then jiggle the pan a little so that the garlic falls in between the tomatoes.
Leave on low heat for about an hour, without stirring.
When the tomatoes have caramalised, and sticky dark brown areas have formed, remove from the heat.
Serve on top of pasta, toasted ciabatta, or risotto, or as a side to any dish.
How many EA Tasty Spoons does it get?
- No animal products.
- As far as I know, none of the ingredients are harmful to the environment.
- Fairly inexpensive. 700g of cherry tomatoes is about £1.60 in the UK.
- Healthy! Especially because tomatoes contain lycopene, which may help protect against cardiovascular disease and some cancers.
- Unbelievably delicious, to the point that I find these tomatoes very hard to share!