This has got to be the most delicious, ethical, and simple lemon meringue pie recipe. The buttery biscuit base, tart lemon filling, and sweet meringue topping go together beautifully. It tastes just like the traditional version, but uses the magical ingredient aquafaba!
Lemon meringue pie
Adapted from ‘Desserts and Confectionaries’ by Mary Berry
Convenience: 20 mins to prepare, 3 hrs to bake
- 250 g (9 0z) digestive biscuits/ graham crackers (many brands are vegan)
- 75 g (1/3 cup) non-dairy margarine, melted
- 65 g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- 3 lemons, zest and juice
- 50 g (1/3 cup) cornflour
- 75 g (1/3 cup + 1 tbsp) caster sugar
- 1 tin of chickpeas, just the water (aquafaba)
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 120 g (1 cup + 2 tbsp) caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 100 C or 200 F
- To make the crust: Crush the digestive biscuits/ graham crackers into crumbs by putting them in a food bag and rolling with a rolling pin.
- Mix in the melted margarine and 65 g of sugar.
- Press the biscuit mixture into the base and sides of a 9 inch pie dish.
- To make the lemon filling: Put the lemon zest, juice, and cornflour into a medium saucepan, and mix into a smooth paste.
- Pour 300 ml (1 1/4 cups) boiling water over the cornflour mixture, then place the pan over medium heat, and simmer for about three minutes, stirring, until thick.
- Add 75 g of sugar to the mixture, and continue stirring over the heat for another minute, then leave to cool slightly, before spooning into the crust.
- To make the meringue: In a large bowl, put the water from a tin of chickpeas, and the cream of tartar.
- Beat on full speed until stiff, with an electric beater.
- Gradually add the 120 g sugar, while beating on full speed, until all the sugar is incorporated, and stiff glossy peaks form.
- Spoon the meringue on top of the lemon filling, and push it to the edges of the crust.
- Bake at 100 C or 200 F for about 3 hours, until the top of the meringue is dried out.
- Leave to cool so the meringue can set, then serve.
How many EA Tasty Spoons does it get?
- No animal products. Vegan meringue is amazing!
- As far as I know, the ingredients aren’t particularly harmful to the environment. Make sure the vegan digestives/ graham crackers don’t contain palm oil.
- It doesn’t contain any particularly expensive ingredients. Save the leftover chickpeas to make chickpea curry or Spanish baked rice!
- Not healthy, because it contains a lot of sugar.
- Extremely delicious!
Total EA Tasty Spoons: 4