These cupcakes taste incredible. Rich and moist cake, with a sweet cookies and cream frosting. It may not be the most ethical recipe (see the rating below), but they do prove that vegans don’t have to miss out on any deliciousness.
Adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
- 235 ml (1 cup) non-dairy milk (e.g almond or soy)
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 170 g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 75 g (1/3 cup) flavourless oil (e.g. rapeseed)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120 g (1 cup) plain flour
- 40 g (1/3 cup) cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 60 g (1/4 cup) non-dairy margarine (e.g. Pure or Earth Balance)
- 60 g (1/4 cup) vegetable fat/shortening (e.g. Trex)
- 200 g (1 1/2 cups) powdered sugar
- 18 oreo cookies: 12 crushed and 6 cut in half
- Preheat the oven to 180 C or 350 F
- Mix together the non-dairy milk and vinegar in a large bowl. Set aside for a few minutes to curdle.
- Add the sugar, oil, and vanilla to the milk mixture, and whisk until foamy.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Then mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, until only a few small lumps remain.
- Pour evenly into 12 cupcake or muffin cases.
- Bake for about 18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- To make the frosting, beat together the margarine, vegetable fat, and powdered sugar with an electric beater.
- Mix in the crushed oreos.
- Spread the frosting onto the now cooled cakes, and press a half oreo into the top of each.
How many EA Tasty Spoons does it get?
- No animal products.
- Sadly, oreos contain palm oil, which from what I’ve read, is environmentally harmful.
- It doesn’t contain any particularly expensive ingredients. A pack of oreos is 65p when on special offer.
- Definitely not healthy. Full of sugar, and contains no redeeming ingredients.
- Crazy delicious, and has the potential to convert any sceptic to vegan baking.
Total EA Tasty Spoons: 3